Community

Tips for Tuesday-Pevonia Blog

The holiday season is almost here, and this time of year can be especially tough for anyone trying to lose weight and get healthy. With so much good tasting yet unhealthy food in abundance, how do you stay committed to your diet and weight loss goals?

We got together with Steve Siebold, a psychological performance coach and author of Die Fat or Get Tough: 101 Differences in Thinking Between Fat People and Fit People, and he offers these 10 tips to our #LiveBeautyFull readers…

Focus on the long term goal: It’s easy to get consumed into the short term satisfaction of all that great tasting food, yet you must be strong and resist the temptation.  Focus on the long term pride of achieving world-class fitness and health which leads to a leaner and stronger body, more confidence, better sex and a better all around you.

Remember your ‘why:’ When the going gets tough and you feel like you’re going to stray from your diet, remember your ‘why.’ Why am I doing this?  Why do I want to really lose weight? Why do I want to get healthy?  This will shock you back to reality and keep you motivated to stay on track.

Stop and think: Before you put anything in your mouth, stop and ask yourself one very important question: How is this piece of food or beverage going to impact my health?  If the answer doesn’t foster good health and wellness, put it down and walk away.

Don’t eat for pleasure: We’ve come to associate the holiday season with great tasting foods, items that are usually high in fat, calories and sugar.  Many people eat for pleasure this time of year. If you’re serious about your weight loss goals, this is the time to eat for health, not for pleasure.

You need accountability and support: If you’ve struggled with food your whole life, walking into Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner is no different than a recovering alcoholic walking into a bar.  You need support and accountability to stay strong. Find someone you trust who has your best interest at heart.  Ask them to be your support person and to help hold you accountable for your actions.

Seeing is believing: One of the best strategies for staying compliant to your weight loss plan this time of year is creating a vision board filled with pictures of lean, fit and sexy people. Hang the vision board in a very visible location. When you constantly see the person you want to become, it will reinforce your goals into your subconscious mind.  If you feel like cheating on your diet or giving up, look at the vision board and it will remind you why you’re fighting.

Expect a challenge: Be realistic and know that remaining compliant this time of year is going to be extra challenging. Expect to feel pain or suffer.  Most people feel the pain or run into an obstacle and seek escape right away.  Have a plan to push forward when this happens and don’t let it catch you off guard.  If you’re not ready to suffer during adversity, you’re not going to be successful.

Get really clear about your weight loss goals.  Don’t just say, “I want to lose weight.” Get specific and say, “By April 1, I want to lose 15 pounds.  I’m going to eat well, exercise each day and get really committed to doing this once and for all.  The holiday season isn’t going to stop me.”  When you set a timeline and have specific goals, you’re going to avoid procrastination.

You can’t cheat and then start over: You can’t cheat whether it’s Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other day.  Stop telling yourself that you can just start over on Monday.  Monday is never coming.  This isn’t a game or a hobby; it’s your health. Until you’re at a healthy body weight, 99% compliance is failure.  You wouldn’t cheat on your spouse in a committed relationship, so don’t cheat on something as important as your diet.

It’s up to you: The mantra of fit people is: I am responsible. If losing weight and getting healthy is something you want bad enough, it’s up to you to make it happen.  Nobody else is coming to the rescue. The choice is yours. Your weight is your responsibility. How bad do you want it?

“The holidays to the millions of dieters is like heroin to a recovering drug addict: it’s full of temptation and ultimately results in a negative outcome,” Siebold says. “It doesn’t take much to derail a diet and completely ruin the road to a healthier life and better body.  The key to weight loss, getting fit and staying on track during the holidays is mental toughness.”

Staying Curious Keeps Be Going-Pevonia Blog

A friend asked “What are your plans for this coming month?” I explained that I no longer make plans.

When I was younger and I needed to make sense of the big world, I carefully made and executed plans. This was my way of announcing to the world, “I am here. I’m no longer a kid. I can take care of myself.”

It was also a factor of my economic condition. I needed to acquire and provide the basics for myself. I needed to be self sufficient, to not want and to not lack. I needed to be safe and have a sense of security.

Planning meant that I understood what was important in life. I knew how to strategize, to execute, to make a task list, to take decisions, to choose wisely, to prioritize, to sacrifice, to delay gratification, to stick to a plan, to assess risks and to be smart enough to have a Plan B.

Back then, I needed to control everything around me and be more than I was. I had to be the smartest, the most prepared and I needed to win.

Over the years, as life unfolded, I have accepted that I am not here to make sense of the world, but to experience it.  I have seen how “controlling” the world keeps me marching along a path, without ever stopping to notice the glory that exists on either side of the path.

I know that my notion of control is a false belief that keeps me in a small box, mitigating risk and protecting myself. It manifests itself in the rules, the must-haves and in the judgements.

In the past, I was limited by what I know, by what I learnt, by my fears of not having enough, by my concerns of failure and by the sum total of my experiences. I dreamt in uni-color of what I had predetermined, so my imagination could not take flight. Consequently, my plans were myopic,  mundane, uncreative and limited.

Now that I don’t plan I see beyond the immediate and obvious and am free to enter the realm of the impossible.

The things that I want, are so important to me that I refuse to plan for them. Planning is an old and obsolete tool, that no longer serves me. It is limiting, for me.

I want what I want on a grander scale than I can imagine. I want to open my desires to the wonder of the improbable and impossible. I want to embrace them with fascination when they emerge and remain curious about how they will appear.

I don’t know what I don’t know. I am a human being and limited in my thoughts.  I focus on what I want, surrender my desires to a higher power and wait for the magic of the universe to serve them up on a platter of its choice.

Double-Minded-Pevonia Blog

Do you want to succeed yet doubt your ability to pave a path or walk on an already established road? Can you follow through without shanking out? Oh and did you know this mindset is dangerous because it prevents you from being you?

Double-mindedness sounds very Hollywood, but did you know the Bible warns against being double-minded? In fact, in his New Testament letter, the apostle James uses the term double-minded twice. So what is this thing called double-mindedness, and what are its consequences?

For starters, the Greek word translated “double-minded” is dipsuchos, from dis, meaning “twice,” and psuche, meaning “mind.” It is used to describe someone who is divided in his interests or loyalties, wavering, uncertain, two-faced, half-hearted. Being double-minded is a sure problem that can damage anyone and can manifest itself in several areas of their lives; and surely, whether he smiles or not, no one wants a double-minded employee.

An area of double-mindedness leads a person to be dubious and indecisive in all his ways. Doubt and irresoluteness in our commitments short-circuit our relationship with others. Before asking anyone for anything, or acting on our desire to succeed we should first ask ourselves questions that directly bear on our mind and position. Such as, what do I really want; is my attitude in life in tune with me, myself, and I; are my motives self-centered or do I understand that servant leadership is rewarding and authentically satisfying, regardless of the job position?

Double-mindedness can creep into our attitude. It can steal who “you” are meant to become. We should go beyond just feeling good to actually striving to be good in all we do. A pleasant, satisfied feeling can deceive us into thinking we have accomplished something when we haven’t.

For example, how many times have you heard someone say: I will call you right back?

A good friend and colleague once had the courage to voice, “When are you going to follow through and actually call me “right” back?”

I cannot deny how surprised I was at her question, yet it taught me to follow through, regardless if the word promise was attached or not. Did I have intentions of calling her back? Yes. However, when I became busy, my priorities were sifted and I paid little to no attention to what had previously come out of my mouth.

So why not give ourselves the task of following through? In fact, this sounds like a plan for single-minded professionals who aim to succeed at networking. Do you agree?

Let’s say you asked for the business cards or contact details of some new contacts. The next week, follow up with an email or phone call; if you get voicemail, leave a message (don’t hang up after the third ring). You have to keep the relationship alive; otherwise, you haven’t really networked at all, nor are you following through.

If you discussed a particular topic with your new friend, perhaps you could research some more and send them an interesting article or point out a new blog on the subject.

Be practical: Follow up with a note on their social networking page or a private email. Why not, let the person know you are interested in exchanging ideas on the topic, and offer them some interesting points for discussion? Wouldn’t a friend do that?

Take every thought “captive” because it is critical. You see, our thoughts are the first to be triggered in the chain-reaction of our actions. In other words, our thoughts stir up our emotions; our emotions then influence our choices; and, our choices are what produce our lives. Thus, whatever controls our thinking will ultimately be what controls our lives.

Our minds are not just our thoughts or our reason or our intellect, but a whole conceptual process.

The fact that the battle of our every step really is waged in our minds is pretty incredible. We’re either going to be single-minded, to motivate and direct all our actions; or, double-minded, blocking the true solution of your equation. Which are you?

five-things-to-consider-for-a-happy-life-pevonia

“You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching; Love like you’ll never be hurt; Sing like there’s nobody listening; And live like it is heaven on earth.” —William W. Purkey

Life is unpredictable; it happens even when you stay still and many things are out of your control. However, being as prepared as you can be, gives you better chances to come out victorious from almost any situation. Here are five things to consider to live a happy life:

1. Your relationships need maintenance.

In any relationship of any kind, there is the need of, at least two parties to be involved. Plus, a partnership that is left to care for itself, sooner or later, dies.

Take good care of your relationships. Keep them alive and happy, stay connected, share pleasant moments and offer your help. In return, expect to be treated with the same level of love and care.

1. Take advantage of your opportunities and chances even when you think you’re not ready.

Most times people don’t feel ready for success. They wait and wait for everything to be perfect before making a little step towards what they want.

If that is happening to you, know that waiting is a waste of resources and opportunities. You can have everything you need, but if you don’t use what you’ve got is like having nothing. It is like hoarding never used kitchen appliances in the pantry to collect dust on them.  

Resources, knowledge, and information are no different. Therefore, when you see an opportunity, take it! Take advantage of it and be assured that whatever else you might need along the way, you will be able to provide.

1. It is okay to make mistakes.

Only those who don’t try anything, don’t make mistakes; but those who don’t make mistakes are not building a happy life. Are they?

Celebrate your journeys through life; each experience is teaching you something, and each experience makes you wiser.

Did you know that most people are afraid of making mistakes, not for the consequences regarding their goals, but what others might think and say about it?

Listen, you are entitled to make mistakes. You are allowed not to care about how people see you because, ultimately, those who love and appreciate you, see your mistakes as opportunities to be useful to you and not ways to make you feel bad about yourself.

If you don’t make mistakes, how do you learn? How do you improve? How do you know when it is the right time for a change?

1. Make a priority keeping your brain young.

Could you have any use of getting beautiful (good looking) to old age if your brain doesn’t work properly?  Plus, have you ever seen ugly old folks? I haven’t. Keep your brain young. Build a happy life for the present and the future.

A few tricks you can use to keep your brain young:

• Learn new things
  • Be curious
  • Stay connected to people
  • Have dreams and aspirations
  • Keep on dancing – stay active
  • Build memories
  • Allow yourself to feel hungry three times a day (literally)
  1. Fun is as important as work

The things we came to regret in life are things we haven’t done. Enjoy life, get together with your loved one with every opportunity and have some fun.

Photo by Ben White